Saturday, February 19, 2022

Jerez Part 7 of 7: A quiet stroll around town

A trident-style street lamp stands in front of a balcony with French doors. The door is topped with a fleur-de-lis, the stylized lily that is the symbol of French royalty. In the late 19th century, French art and architectural became very popular among Mexican elites.

In this final part of my Jerez series, I'll take you on a stroll around town. The photos I include here didn't really fit into the story-lines of my other posts. I just found them interesting and attractive and didn't want to leave them out. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking the shots.

This two-story building was once the abode of wealthy merchant. The location is on Calle de la Soledad, just north of the Santuario. Multiple doors on the first floor gave entrance to the merchant's store, while the second floor was his residence. Notice the elaborate decorative stone carvings over the second floor doors. When I took this shot, the first floor contained an eye clinic and a video studio, while the second floor has apparently been broken up into apartments. 


I found a mariachi school on Calle de la Soledad. I was walking along the street when I heard the unmistakeable sound of mariachi music. As I approached, I saw the sign above and an open door and couldn't resist taking a peek inside.


Young mariachis-in-training and their instructor. They were friendly and gladly agreed when I asked if I could take their photo. The instruments they hold are fairly typical for a mariachi band. These include two trumpets, a violin, a guitar, and a guitarrón (base guitar). The man pointing at me (second from right) appears to be Sr. Miguel de la Rosa, whose name is on the sign. The attitude of this group was typical of the folks we met in Jerez.



Entrance to Jerez' Department of Public Works. The contrast between the elaborate colonial-era doorway and the prosaic modern function of the building definitely called for a photo. I encounter these sorts of contrasts where ever I go in Mexico. The two gentlemen chatting on the steps added a nice touch. 


The mysterious Manuel Rodarte. Other than the dates of his life (1885-1928) that appear below his bust, he is a complete mystery to me, despite considerable Google research. He was apparently important enough to justify a statue and even to have a street named after him. I have turned up a long list of Rodartes from Jerez, dating back at least to the 17th century. However, I can find no Manuel who was born and died on those dates. Any help in identifying this person would be appreciated. 


"Kiss, love for fashion". Women's clothing is sold here. The English word "kiss" was a rather unusual sign to find over a Mexican store. The Spanish word for kiss is beso. The carved stone door frames are Gothic style, indicating a building of the 18th or 19th century. This store is part of a row of old homes along the east side of the Plaza Principal that have been turned into storesI featured them in Part 2 of this series.


A brass lion chomps on the handle of a door knocker. It is difficult to say whether this is an original or a re-creation. However, the greenish patina indicates that it might be an antique. Little details like this door knocker often catch my eye.
 

"OK! What's going on down there!" I am a dog person and their antics always amuse me. This pup was standing vigil and not about to let anyone or anything pass by below his balcony without close inspection.

This completes Part 7 of my Jerez series as well as the series itself. I hope you have enjoyed visiting this charming town. If so, please leave any thoughts or questions in the Comments section below, or email me directly. If you leave a question, please include your email address so that I may reply in a timely fashion.

Hasta luego, Jim








 

2 comments:

  1. The Cristiada: The Cristeros
    Jean Meyer Aug 2005 La Cristiada (1926-1929 and 1932-1938), an autonomous movement of the masses, especially the peasant masses..."el de Manuel Rodarte , jefe de los agraristas de Jerez , responsable de la muerte de P. Félix de la Castañeda , son otras tantas excepciones que ..."
    My Spanish isn't too good but I think Manuel died defending the church in Jerez...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pointe Saint Charles,
    I appreciate your comment. However, if Manual Rodarte was "jefe de los agraristas" (leader of the agrarian workers fighting for land reform), then he was the opponent of the Cristeros and, by extension, the Church. The Cristeros allied themselves with hacienda owners and the Church was historically a huge land owner.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment involves a question, please leave your email address so I can answer you. Thanks, Jim